Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vitis californica x vinifera ‘Roger’s Red' pruning/care

Posted by 4costanza northern ca (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 15:55

Can someone tell me if/how to prune this vine? While we'd love to continue to get it's tasty little grapes (for us and the birds), I planted it for it's beauty as a focal point on a wall, not as a vinyard-production-type plant. I planted it 1 year ago near a stucko wall and strung wire for it to climb. It climbed and spread quite nicely, and was beautiful in its fall color. When I search how to prune grapes, I see vinyard-type training, like high cordon system where the vine is trained to one or two trunks. How should I prune it to keep it healthy, spreading, and beautiful(and hopefully still producing) ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vitis californica x vinifera ‘Roger’s Red' pruning/care

grapes only bloom on older wood (not the current seasons new growth) so you want to prune so that there is plenty of old wood to bear the fruit and lots of leaves to photosynthesize food and shade young berries from burning sun. check online or with your local agricultural extension agent for specifics for your area.

o

Would love cuttings of your Rogers Red for root stock for my vinifera!

Suzi

o

There are a lot of videos on you tube showing pruning techniques for grapes. A picture says a thousand words!

Basically, the canes that produced last years grapes will NOT give you fruit again! It's important to leave a couple canes with buds on them to form next years fruit.

They intertwine so much, it's really hard to tell, so I put ribbon ties on the fruiting canes so I know what already bore and this helps to decide what to leave and what must go. The old canes grow fat and gnarly and provide structure, and the canes that grew last year need to be pruned partly, with plenty of buds for clusters and new canes.

Inside every bud on the newer "old" dormant canes is a new cane and cluster, so be sure to leave enough buds to produce for you.

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here