Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Geum Triflorum seed info AKA 'Prairie Smoke'

Posted by trowelgal Kansas Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 16:49

Hi,
I have been trying to find seeds for this unique plant and did find some. A packet of 50 seeds was $2, not bad, but the shipping of that packet was $5! Does anyone have a more reasonable source? Oh yes, I also found the bareroot plants but the shipping on those light weight babies was $12.50. I would appreciate hearing from you if you have sources. Thanks in advance.
Tina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Geum Triflorum seed info AKA 'Prairie Smoke'

I just got two packets of seeds from Specialty Perennials in Apple Valley MN - shipping cost was $2.75 total. Website is www.hardyplants.com.
You might also search at IonExchange www.ionxchange.com and Prairie Moon Nursery prairiemoonnursery.com for prices on seeds/bareroot plants/plugs and shipping costs for each.

o

Thank you so much for these sources. I will be ordering the seeds.
Tina

o

Hello darwingardener,
I sent you an e-mail but it was returned. I will be looking at Target and again at my favorite nursery this weekend for the Geum Triflorum seeds in hopes I can find them in town. We are getting green grass here, everyone is so excited as we have had a beastly winter. We all know spring is a ways off but it still makes the spirit soar to see the earth awakening from its winter sleep.
Tina

o

I looked at the seed selection at the "big box store with the red bulls eye" the other day, and they don't seem to carry a lot of native seeds, but the one in your area may have them, you never know. I know you can get the seeds for Prairie Smoke/Geum triflorum at Prairie Moon nursery (see link below).

Prairie Moon gives the Geum triflorum seed a code "C" with a number 60, which means the seeds likely needs cold, moist stratification for at least 60 days/2 months before the seeds will germinate. It may be a little late even in Zone 5 to stratify them outside, it depends on how warm it is there in Kansas now. But you can always stratify them in your refrigerator.

Prairie Moon also sells them as potted plants:
http://www.prairiemoon.com/plants/potted-plants/wildflowers-forbs/geum-triflorum-prairie-smoke/

I think you get 38 cells for $96. Not sure if you can order fewer than 38, but it's worth a call or email to check I suppose.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Moon: Geum triflorum (Prairie Smoke)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here