SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjbspokane

Creating a swale garden

cjbspokane
15 years ago

Hi. I recently moved to a new home that comes with a swale in the front yard. It is about 8 feet across and 24-27 feet long. Swale is over 1/3 of the front lawn, maybe even forty percent of the front yard.

I would like to replace the lawn grass in the swale with native plants. The yard faces east and is not shaded by any trees.

The problem is that the soil has a lot of clay and rocks. While this part of the country gets little precipitation in the summer, the swale has looked more like a bog than anything else this winter/nearly spring.

I would prefer to use native plants or non-invasive pollinator friendly plants. And because the swale is at the front of the lawn, I would prefer to keep the plants 1-3 feet in height.

I am having trouble finding native plants that like full sun and do not need good drainage.

I would have preferred a xeric garden, but am willing to forego that for a bee & butterfly friendly yard.

Does anyone have any plant suggestions? Or would I be better off trying to replace the soil in the swale?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington