Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Liatris: Yes or No?

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 17:09

I just saw a bag of Liatris at Lowes, 75 for $14.99. My questions are:

1.) Are Liatris a bulb, corm, or otherwise something you could realistically toss in a bag and expect to survive?
2.) Are they native to New England?
3.) Will they do well in gravelly soil in partial shade where they have to share with Yew, Grape Hyacinths, and Nodding Onion?
4.) When would I plant them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Liatris: Yes or No?

Yes Liatris is a bulb/corm and could survive.
Yes, there are some species that are native to New England. I imagine they don't say the species name on the bag?

Yes, they would like gravely soil, but probably would want full sun to flower.

I guess you would plant them after danger of frost.

Here is a link that might be useful: species map for Liatris

o

I saw those at the Lowes here. Doesn't say on the bag what species it is but it's most likely Liatris spicata. I bought some corms from Country Max and the recommendation on the bag is to plant them after danger of frost.

Btw, Country Max had boxes of Virginia bluebells and Allegheny spurge for sale. They were 2 for $6.95. I'm thinking of going back to get a few.

o

The Virginia bluebells are well worth that price. And, a surprise to me after planting mine was that they are a food source for Spring migrating Monarchs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch on Bluebell

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here