Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
outside ceramic planter - is it killing my plants?

Posted by MSR2011 South Carolina (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 20:24

Hello all,

last year I tried planting two varieties of small trees in a couple of ceramic planters that flanked my garage. The first were a pair of emerald greens, and the second a pair of dwarf alberta spruce. Before the summer was done, both died.

The planters are of the larger variety, so I don't think it was a matter of them being too small. The emerald greens would have eventually gotten too large for the planters, I realize that,... but they didn't even last long enough for that problem.

For drainage, I drilled 3 equal distant small holes (approx.1/4") in the bottom of the planters. I then placed a screen over the bottom, and then layered some small pea gravel over that. When I water, it seems to drain very well, maybe even too well,... in that I can start to see the water came out the bottom after a few minutes.

What I can't figure out is why did both tree varieties die? Yes, they are in full sun all day,.. but both are supposed to tolerate that.

For instance, after a couple of weeks of planting the alberta spruce, they started putting out new growth, and all looked great. Then, as time went on,... they simply started to wilt, and die. I was trying to pay close attention to NOT over watering, but, since they were newly planted, I watered whenever the soil seemed dry.

Could I have been over watering? I don't see how, especially since the water was draining so quickly.

Any thoughts on what is going on? My wife seems to think that it is just too hot for the plants inside the ceramic planters in full sun all day.

Thanks for any advice, as it is time once again to try and plant "something" to flank my garage.

Marc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: outside ceramic planter - is it killing my plants?

Alberta Spruce is a northern tree. In a pot, the roots probably got too warm in SC. I have no theory about the other tree. For better luck, look for a more southern evergreen.

o

You might also ask this question in the Container gardening forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container gardening

o

clay and ceramic planters get super hot sitting in full sun, the roots are literally cooked on a hot day. as someone mentioned the alberta was a poor choice regardless, it like cool moistness around its roots.

o

I had the same thing happen to a Fig tree. I couldn't get that little thing to grow more than 2-3 leaves. Finally, someone told me to move it to part shade, and douse it with Miracle Grow.

When I tried to move the pot, I dropped it fast! I needed pot holders to move it! I was cooking the roots! It has recovered nicely, and is really growing big!

If your pots need to stay where they are, painting them white could help, watering more often, and you could drape shade cloth over them (tacky looking..I know), but shade cloth is an amazing invention!!

Good luck!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here