SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinkspoonbill_gw

Amsonia hubrectii (Arkansas Amsonia)

pinkspoonbill
16 years ago

I planted an Arkansas Amsonia last fall, and watched it turn colors, then drop its leaves. I had a cluster of sticks at the beginning of winter. I bought it in less than a gallon pot, so it wasn't real big. Now that we're having warmer weather, I am looking for my plants I'm expecting back for Spring. To my chagrin, I do not see the sticks of my Arkansas Amsonia. I can find no trace of it in the area I remember planting it in. Does anyone know if this plant dies all the way to the ground, then returns, or if it keeps its leafless limbs, and greens out from there? I don't know how I could have lost the entire plant, stems and all. If it just died, I'd think I'd have the dead plant. How could the sticks have just disappeared? I am afraid some animal dug it up, and later, thinking it was a dead plant, I composted it. Or, an animal dug it up and it blew away into the brush. I cannot find a hole, either, though. It's been a few months since I saw the sticks or looked for the plant. Can I expect it to return from bare ground, or does the plant really remain as leafless limbs, like most other winter dormant plants? I do hope I still have this plant, as it is hard to find and is native to my area (Central AR). If it is gone, perhaps someone here would like to trade a clump of it for something I have. Thank you for the comments of this amsonia's appearance in winter and early Spring. This is the first winter I have had with this plant.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner