Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting trout lilies

Posted by jcsgreenthumb 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 21:39

Hi,

I would like to know how well these transplant. I am hoping to trade some but won't if they don't transplant well.

If they do transplant OK, I will be looking for trades once they are done blooming.

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting trout lilies

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 7, 07 at 13:23

Deeeeeep corms. Hard to know which ones will bloom reliably. They transplant fine though.

o

The corms are very deep, 6 to 10 inches deep. It is difficult to dig them while in bloom as you usually break the very thin stalk connecting the corm to the leaves which kills the plant.

Mark the location of dense clumps in your garden, wait until the leaves disappear. Then use a deep shovel to dig up the clump in one piece about 12inches deep. Carefully break up the soil and separate the corms for trading.

o

usually break the very thin stalk connecting the corm to the leaves which kills the plant

Judy, you don't mean kills the plant, do you? I think you mean that you lose the foliage. The corm should be fine for the next year.

I find it best to dig them while they are first coming up - the link from foliage to corm is still relatively strong, it is only as the foliage ages that it weakens. But even when the foliage breaks off, I keep the corm and transplant it as intended.

Bottom line for me: if you get the corm, they transplant fine. I've seen some folks dig up a clump (on a rescue) and never even realize that they didn't get the corm. So I'm sure those folks think they don't transplant well!

o

If you break the stem before the leaves have had a chance to generate food for the corm, the corm will be weak and may not grow the next season.

But mostly I meant that if you don't get the corm, the leaves will die and not transplant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here