Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Violet

Posted by jekeesl 7 a/b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 22:04

I found a small colony of bearded violets today in a sunny ditch that stays fairly wet. The plants are young, and only 3" to 4" tall. Stems are smooth. Leaves not well developed, but in shape shown below, or some a bit more pointed. There are no hairs on these plants, except for the beards. The flowers are about the size of my thumbnail, and beard hairs appear rounded at the tips. Of the roughly 21 Viola varieties in Arkansas, the best candidates are V. cucullata, V. nephrophylla, and V. walteri. Sources report that the distinguishing characteristic for V. cucullata is a beard that has club-shaped hairs. Our other bearded species have hairs with sharp ends. Are the hairs in the third photo club shaped? Is this specimen V. cucullata, or something else?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Violet

An important detail with violets is whether or not the stems are leafy or the leaves are all basal. The hairs look club-shaped so V. cucullata is a good candidate provided all of the leaves are basal.

o

Lycopus, thanks for your reponse. It appears that all of the leaves are basal.

I emailed a separate enquiry to a local botanist. He said that the blue violets were difficult, without a specimen in hand, because they're so variable. Although USDA does list V. cucullata as present in Arkansas, the Arkansas Vascular Floral Committee does not recognize it on their list of Arkansas taxa. That botanist thought that V. sororia was a possibility. However, the references I've found mostly agree that V. sororia has ciliate sepal margins, straight beard hairs, and flowers that sit close to the leaves. Those three characteristics are not typical of the specimens in the photos below.

Do you think V. sororia is the best candidate? I may have to collect a sample for review by the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission in Little Rock.

o

Viola sororia will usually key out very close to V. cucullata but the differences in the shape of the beard hairs are as you've described. I will say that the specimens of V. cucullata that I have seen had rather long peduncles compared to V. sororia. You might wait a few weeks before collecting a sample as violets can look different later in the season from when they first emerge. If you collect it press at least one of them as a voucher in case it is V. cucullata.

o

That's good advice. I have a bad habit of trying to determine species from plants that aren't yet mature. I did get a reply from one of our botanists this morning. They thought the photos were interesting enough, that they forwarded them to a recognized authority in the genus for comment. They also promised to provide a press, since I've sent them photos of several other non-typical species for our area.

o

I believe these violets are called Wild Violet, Viola or Viola odorata... they grow on my farm in zone 3a. North Central Alberta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here