Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me identify this shrub with dark blue winter berries?

Posted by blakekr Zone 5B, NY State (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 22:22

This shrub is everywhere around here in the moist, low, floodplain areas. It's a graceful looking fan-shaped shrub, light gray wood, with dusky dark-blue berries of an oval shape that cling pretty well all winter long.

You OFTEN see this shrub all cozy-like with wild rose bushes, and not uncommonly, you'll find bittersweet climbing all over it. I wish I knew what it was, given how successful it is around here. Any ideas? Sorry for the very bad close-up of the berries. :)

mystery shrub with dark blue berries

blurry berries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me identify this shrub with dark blue winter berries?

It could be Ligustrum (perhaps L. vulgare) which is an invasive plant that can form dense thickets and out compete native vegetation.

o

"... given how successful it is around here". Invasive species are indeed successful because they are so adaptable and can outcompete natives. You have a bad infestation of European Privet. Not too far from me is a beautiful forrested watershed, the dominent understory is European Privet, choking out everything else.
Now for your roses and bittersweet, are you sure they are not Asian weeds?
Sam

o

• Posted by blakekr Zone 5B, NY State (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 7, 08 at 10:36

Thank you so much! No one I have talked to locally was sure what this was ... now I know why!

I guess it has to go head-to-head with the japanese knotweed ... the knotweed seems to be winning.

o

Looks like a non-native privet sorry to say. Throw the berries in the garbage.

o

I think we're all in agreement. European Privet and Ligustrum vulgare are the same plant. This is a widespread, non-native, invasive plant that takes over the understory of woodlands, outcompeting native shrubs and seriously reducing the number of woodland wildflowers as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here