Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant id please

Posted by c2g 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 0:13

Just cut my meadow for the spring recently and noticed this coming up. Appears to be putting on new growth each day. I'm thinking it's invasive. Any guesses?

plant link

Here is a link that might be useful: plant link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant id please

Can you show a close up of the leaves? Opposite branching so that limits the choices considerably. Viburnums and Ashes have opposite branching.

o

• Posted by c2g 6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 13:02

Here's the best I can get from my phone. Can click to zoom.

o

Another opposite branching shrub is Buttonbush, Cephalanthus occidentalis and I know that the emerging leaves look similar to that. It usually lives in moist conditions.

o

Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 13:38

Hmmmm. I planted a small buttonbush in the backyard last year. Never flowered but had a growth surge in late summer. I'll have to take a look at it and compare notes.

o

I'm thinking Lonicera.

o

Definitely honeysuckle.

o

It looks like honeysuckle which is very invasive. Kill it if you can!

o

Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 8:43

Heres' one last close-up photo of the leaves. There's a few more in my neighbor's yard and I'm noticing it everywhere in the woods. Wondering if anyone can give me a latin name for it:

o

What general area are you in, C2G? That might help narrow it down a bit. And while some honeysuckle is invasive, there's lots that isn't. Lonicera ciliosa, Western Trumpet Honeysuckle, for example, is a native plant where I live--not considered invasive at all.

o

Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 9:53

@Praties - I live in Philadelphia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here