Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arborviti and what natives?

Posted by nancita 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 0:26

Hi all,
Purchased a home and spent the last year remodeling the inside. Now we're ready to head outdoors.
Moved back from FL and had a strictly native yard. I just loved the place.
My MA home is on a corner lot of two smaller streets. Landscaping, especially in the back, is a challenge. There's a second driveway right in the middle of the yard, which will be kept but toned down to probably gravel or something more attractive than asphalt. Arborviti go across half of the back boundary and most of the side with the backyard driveway. I love the idea of dressing up the arborviti with some native, butterfly-attracting plants. Also, fragrant flowers would be wonderful.My knowledge of MA plants unfortunately limited to the usual suspects and I would appreciate any help.
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arborviti and what natives?

Red Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis) is a native vine. There also is probably some native relative of Honeysuckle, but avoid the invasive Japanese Honeysuckle.

While not native and invasive, most people in the area seem to use Trumpet Vine to attract hummingbirds.

While not vines...
Purple Coneflower(Echinacea purpurea), Beebalm (aka Wild Bergamot) and Eastern Showy Aster (Eurybia spectabilis) are natives that butterflies like and which are relatively easy to find. There are also a million variants of milkweed, including many butterflies love and many native versions...for instance Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Jersey Tea is a bit more obscure.

I'd consider planting Eastern Red Ceder if you want to extend the Arborvitae border...it is very similar to Arborvitae, but has berries a few species of birds eat, and is native.

Check out the Garden in the Woods in Natick. They specialize in native plants.

http://www.newfs.org/store

o
RE: Arborviti and what natives?

Thank you for the great ideas. The Garden in the Woods sounds like it's right up my alley. Can't wait to go. I'll be like a kid in a cand store.
Thank you again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here