Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aralia spinosa - OK to keep?

Posted by bruglover Gulf States (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 0:38

I'm trying to landscape with all native plants. OK, except for my roses ;-).

An Aralia spinosa (devil's walking stick) started sprouting, out of nowhere.

Can I move it? Is it good wildlife food? Picturesque?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aralia spinosa - OK to keep?

It sure is an appealing plant from an aesthetic standpoint with the tropical-like foliage and huge mid summer flowers followed by clusters of dark fruit.
However, it can be a bane in a more cultivated area of your garden due to all those armed shoots coming up everywhere - it is thorny and prolific!
Wildlife? I am not sure, but I would think birds and critters will eat the berries.
Can it be moved? I dont know how easily, but some suckering shrubs can be hard to move successfully from a colony. I am thinking of plants like Aesculus parviflora and Asimina triloba. Try it and see.

Rx

o

I personally like this plant a lot, especially the red color of the new leaves in the spring. I cut a bit of stem & root (no more than 2 feet combined) to a friend out of my yard and it grew well. That was 8 years ago. In that time, it had grown from a small club of wood into a spreading mass of 10 growths, the tallest of which was 8-10ft. Last year, I cut off 3 large growths from his plants for my yard again (since I moved). This spring, my 3 are coming up well.

Best,
Ross

o

I just planted one this fall. The warblers LOVE the drupes in fall!

o
RE: Aralia spinosa - spreading mass?

I was thinking of putting one of these in my yard, if I can find one, but now I'm not so sure I want to. It sounds as though it might take over everything. "it had grown from a small club of wood into a spreading mass of 10 growths"?

o

I've had an Aralia spinosa for several years. I, too, love the plant, but apparently they need full sun to bloom. Mine is in partial shade and it's never bloomed. As for the shoots, I read that if you want to control them, you can just run over them with a lawn mover when they are very small. I haven't tried that, but it makes sense. I just let mine form a colony and I'm glad that I did as I just lost the parent plant in a storm last week.

Shelley

o

I love this plant too... as long as you have thick gloves to deal with the nettles, you should be fine... Birds love the berries, and butterflies are all over the flowers...

o

• Posted by nankeen z8b Gresham OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 21:20

They are easy to move, as long as you get a good piece of root with the growth.

The suckers can be controlled just by pulling them when they break the surface. They tend to only sucker for me early in the summer.

Best,
Ross

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here