Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When will Wild Bergamot Sprout?

Posted by edlincoln 6a Massachusetts (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 0:47

Last summer I purchased Wild Bergamot in a pot (which someone else said was a variety of Bee Balm). I planted it, and it sent a spindly stalk up, but never bloomed. The stalk and leaves survived until late winter, when the snow destroyed it.

Is this a plant like a tulip, which will send up new leaves each Spring? Or like a tree, that dies when it's trunk is chopped down? When can I expect it to send up a new stalk and new leaves? So far it hasn't.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When will Wild Bergamot Sprout?

My native ones are just starting to show, and I am in a warmer area. I thought I had lost them! The hybrids have been visible all winter, if you know where to look, and are spreading nicely.

I would wait a while before giving up.

o

The part that sticks up above the ground was completely destroyed late in the winter, (destroyed by snow and a plow, buried under a drift) and hasn't come back yet. I'm trying to determine if this is the sort of plant that can come back if the above ground portion is destroyed.

o

Many of my perennials are late to show - winter has hung on long. What else is up in your location? My crocuses and pussy willow are only now just blooming and the most cold tolerant natives are only now starting to peek through the soil and make themselves known. I live in Western NY State not exactly next to MA but we are often affected by the same weather systems and so perhaps your cold weather has hung on a bit too long as well.

And yes, there are many perennials - monarda included, that die back to the ground for winter and sprout anew in the spring.

FataMorgana

o

We had a bad winter here to...epic snow storms, although not terribly cold. Not much is blooming in our yard except three bulbs. Elsewhere in the neighborhood I see lots of tulips.

o

Most hardy perennials start to sprout any time starting with crocus bloom time onward, depending upon the plant. (Crocuses bloom before daffodils and tulips.) My established monarda plants are just starting to sprout up. Young plants tend to be slower to sprout than the mature, established plants.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here