SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laylaa_gw

Anise - Florida vs Japanese questions

laylaa
15 years ago

The site search is not working!!! Driving me nutty!

I think that I have a tag mix up with a recent purchase. I purchased Illicium parviflorum - is that not Florida Anise? I read ONE tag in the store. ANOTHER tag on the plants read "Illicium parviflorum - Japanese Anise - light green foliage with yellow-green flowers"

Okay. Isn't Japanese anise Illicium anisatum? This plant has dark green leaves.

There was a mild mix up at the register about this plant, and they also carried Illicium floridanum. I intended to take back the Japanese Anise and get the floridanum.

I have questions -

Does the dark green leaves indicate this plant would be Japanese anise anisatum and not the native parviflorum?

What is the difference between parviflorum and floridanum? If I look it up on the NPIN I get the same entries and plant.

Will the floridanum - which has yellow leaves, look too similar to Calycanthus floridus - Carolina allspice, which is already planted and the anise is meant to go next to. I preferred the dark leaf as I'm not wild about that particular shade of yellow leaf, but Japanese anise is not what I want. I may need to look for an alternative for this spot if the allspice and anise look too alike.

Thanks. I'm confused. Does it show?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions