Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiger Lillys

Posted by edspangler Tennessee (espangler5@charter.net) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 6:12

Greetings, I am so pleased with all the advice I have already received as a new member about my Roses!!!.
I am planning on planting some Tiger Lilly bulbs that I have ordered, in next couple weeks, doing this to honor and remember my Grandmother, who always had beautiful Tiger Lilly's.
I actually transplanted one of her bulbs came up green for a couple years, never flowered,, but it seems to not come up at all anymore??,:-( wonder if I should attempt to dig it up / find it and replant? anyway, here's my plan based on conversations with the bulb supplier, I have my Grandmothers old washtub, I intend to drill drill drain holes in it, place a layer of gravel in bottom, fill with Miracle Gro
" Moisture Control" soil, and after that as far as feeding or fertilizing or spraying for fungus , disease.....I have "NO CLUE".........Advice anyone? Please respond to my email so I am able to print any responses.
Thanks
ED

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiger Lillys

Are you talking about native plants (this is a native plant forum)? Tiger lilies are not native to North America.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lilium lancifolium

o

Not Native Plant?? .....OK, I admit I am not totally in tune with all this.
So, ....what/ where..... do i need to post my question??
Thanks
Ed

o

Thanks for the link, it does say they are originally from Asia, Thanks for the clarification. That said, there is no info on the Link as to where to find info on growing them. Is there somewhere on this website I can post my question??
ED

o

There happens to be a Lily forum here. Good luck! There are lots of nice native lilies too, by the way. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily forum

o

If you want native "tiger lily' type lilies, plant Lilium superbum or L. michiganense - I've put in some superbums this year. (They get up to 8 feet tall in moist, sunny conditions). Can't wait to see how they fare in moist, floodplain woods! (In a clearing at the edge)

o

I'm curious if you may mean the orange day lilies ("ditch lilies"). My mom and great aunt called them tiger lilies. I believe it's a common name for them in some areas.

They're also not natives, but escaped cultivation in a lot of places. They are aggressive spreaders. We have them all over here.

I added a link to the Wikipedia entry for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemerocallis_fulva

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here