Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Eastern columbine?

Posted by elly_nj NJ z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 7:30

Is this Eastern columbine? I scattered seeds last spring and want to make sure I am not excited over an invasive weed.

photo IMG_0725.jpg

Columbine? photo IMG_0724.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Eastern columbine?

Don't think they have enough of the clover-like look of early aquilegia canadensis seedlings. Though some aquilegia vulgaris cultivars leaf out a bit differently.

o

I don't think it is columbine.

o

Baby columbine do look much like mature columbine, just smaller. I agree that it looks like something different - perhaps something like Veronica persica.

FataMorgana

o

Bostedo . . . I'm in the Mid-Cities.

That very plant popped up all over my backyard this spring, and I don't remember every seeing it before. I've neither scattered seeds, nor planted columbine, and its everywhere - even nooks and crannies. Are you sure its columbine?

~ freshair

This post was edited by freshair2townsquare on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 10:44

o

The photo is columbine. However I also have a lot more weeds this year that look similar enough to be mistaken, especially as young plants. The most prolific has been yellow wood sorrel. There are two others that I have not identified. I doubt what you have is columbine if it is all over the place; it will reseed here, but usually not so aggressively.

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow wood sorrel

o

I posted a photo of one of the other columbine-like "weeds" over on "name that plant" as Wildflower weed with columbine-like leaves.

Found the third one was cilantro upon a closer look and sniff... a result of my sloppy seed collecting from last year's garden. .

o

I yanked it all. The roots are very shallow.

o

AND I went to my old house where I planted columbine 10 years ago. I dug up some young plants and planted them. Now I know I have columbine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here