Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native plants for Jersey Shore garden?

Posted by lmpneely NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 8:26

Hello, I'm designing the landscape for a beach cottage in Brigantine, NJ. Any suggestions for native plants that would work well 'down the shore?' Looking to eliminate the lawn completely. I need to create a hedge in a shaded, narrow strip between my house and the neighbor, was thinking either of tall grasses or perhaps Ilex Verticillata. Also looking for a small specimen tree at front corner (amelanchier canadensis?), surrounded by low maintenance perennials. Finally, looking for a ground cover for a shaded path between front and back yards. Would love to hear your suggestions. Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native plants for Jersey Shore garden?

Is this a true coastal environment such that the soil is sandy? If so, some consideration to that may be needed.

If that strip between the neighbor is truly shady then neither grasses nor Ilex verticillata are appropriate (unless you don't mind a lack of blooms).

For the ground cover on the shady path, consider Antennaria plantaginifolia . Amelanchier canadensis is a nice specimen tree. Does the area get afternoon sun? I'd also consider a native azalea if they are appropriate for your area or a Viburnum (some of them can be like a small tree).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here