Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
native groundcover-japanese pachysandra vs. allegheny spurge

Posted by dkgarber ma (6a) (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 9:21

I need groundcover for shade. I prefer to go native, but need something deer resistant (I had chosen wintergreen,but my deer would decimate it). I read that native pachysandra is not atractive at all to deer-and that they almost detest it.

So, I was in a nursery yesterday and they had flats of generic "pachysandra" for very cheap. It wasn't glossy like Japanese pachysandra. I wondered if I could have found some native! (Its hard to find in my area). This isn't the kidn of place that would have any clue what I was talking about if I asked.

My question is, does all alien pachysandra have those glossy, waxy leaves???? I 'v tried to do a leave ID online, and its not totally obvious. I'd love to score a flat or two, but am not really keen on gwowing japanese spurge.

Hmm....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: native groundcover-japanese pachysandra vs. allegheny spurge

Pachysandra procumbens is the native form. It is clump-forming. The leaves are lighter green, with darker "blotches" in the spring; not glossy whatsoever, and ever so slightly fuzzy.

Pachysandra terminalis (Japanese Spurge) is the spreading, groundcover type. There are several varieties of this one, some of which are more or less glossy.

If you Google the botanical names you should have better luck with photos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here