Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WARNING; Bayer Plant Food

Posted by timsway 6 OH (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 10:20

I'm posting this as a warning to all the plant enthusiast that care about their plants.
To make a long-story-short I used Bayer Advanced, Triple Action All Purpose Plant Food, on several plants (some very expensive) and it KILLED THEM. It is supposed to be a slow release plant food, but it crumbled as soon as it rained; burning up all the plants that had been fed with the plant food. I contacted Bayer and left a complete description of what happened through its web site and was told to call a customer service rep, which led nowhere.
I lost three Cercis canadensis 'Silver Cloud' which I had ordered from Greer Gardens (a great place to order rare plants) several variegated strawberry (Fragaria vesca 'Varigatum) plants, several rare white willow herb (Epilobium angustifolia 'Album' which I had grown from seed that is very hard to get) and the list goes on...
SO BE WARNED of my experience.I know how crappy something like this can make you feel, and all of you "Garden Webbers" have been so nice to me that I would hate to know that something like this could happen to you.
Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WARNING; Bayer Plant Food

How did you use it? It would be very unusual for fertilizer to kill plants unless you had put it on the leaves. It is supposed to be worked into the soil, and the label warns to wash off leaves. Like other granular fertilizers, it is activated by water so I don't understand the "crumbled by rain" comment.

Most native shrubs and trees don't need fertilizing. New seedlings might need some; I use liquid fertilizer, diluted to at least half strength for seedlings. A granular fertilizer like Bayer is not usually used for growing seedlings; you could mix into the garden bed before planting out, being careful to use no more than the recommended amount and watering in before planting.

o

Tim, what's notable to me here, is that the plants the fertilizer killed were all variegated, in the case of the first two, and an Alba, or white version of the third. Variegated plants, and, sometimes, Albas, are usually lest robust than their higher chlorophyll content kin. That's why they are more expensive; takes longer to propagate them due to their slower ways.

Did every plant you used the fertilizer on suffer badly?

Do bring up with Bayer this issue again, but specifically mentioning what I've told you about variegated plants. I'd phrase it as a specific question thus, and ask them to please pass it to one of their horticulture experts, more as a question than a complaint. Their formula may just be too high octane for the slower variegated plants. I'm very curious about this, and will ask horti folks I know if they have an answer. Thanks for the Heads Up.

o

It has been drilled into my head that you shouldn't use any stronger fertiliser than humus on native plants. They evolved with generally poor soils.

I've also heard that white/variegated versions of some plants are inherently weaker, and I've seen it in my own garden. I have 3 strong, robust bleeding hearts in my garden, and 1 of the white flowered variety. The white one is so small and spindly compared to it's normally coloured relatives. But it comes up and blooms every year, bless it's heart.

o

It has been drilled into my head that you shouldn't use any stronger fertiliser than humus on native plants. They evolved with generally poor soils.

I've also heard that white/variegated versions of some plants are inherently weaker, and I've seen it in my own garden. I have 3 strong, robust bleeding hearts in my garden, and 1 of the white flowered variety. The white one is so small and spindly compared to it's normally coloured relatives. But it comes up and blooms every year, bless it's heart.

o

I put rose and plant food on cherry bushes. Then I read on the label not for food usage. What Can I do now? The
branches has cherry's already but small. Is it going to be safe to eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here