Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confirmation of non native tree

Posted by anita55 zone 6 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 08 at 10:43

Hello, I posted on the "name that plant" forum for ID of this tree. I'd just like one more opinion to see if you all come up with the same ID I got there for this tree. Thank you.

please id

LI Tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confirmation of non native tree

If you're trying to confirm whether it is Tree of Heaven, you might try cutting a piece of it. Tree of Heaven's other nickname is Stinking Sumac apparently because of it's resemblance to Sumac and the fact that it stinks.

o

Yes you replied on the name that plant forum and i appreciate that. I have cut down Tree of Heaven before but I never saw one with this odd shape which is why I want to be sure that's what it is. thanks.

o

What odd shape do you mean? The ones near me (on the roadside), all look like bare sticks just like this (growing straight up like an arrow).

o

Definitely makes me think "sumac" but I don't know which kind. The leaves and growing habit are major giveaways.

o

Here is a picture of what I recognize as Tree of Heaven. I was told on the forum that's what it was, and I removed from my yard.

tree of heaven

That's why I want to be sure of what this is. Do you think these this tree is the same as the first photo? I'm going to look at Sumac now, too. Any help is appreciated.

Anita

o

Different conditions and age can define the shape. Certainly the tree in the picture above (the one next to the building) is a well established tree of heaven. But young trees and trees which have not had reason to branch (such as being pruned or munched by deer) often have the single stick look.

How tall are the ones in the first pictures?

The leaves will be out soon enough and that should help with the identification as well.

o
Some links that might help

Links which might be useful that show the stem:

http://cricket.biol.sc.edu/acmoore/527/plants/ailanthus.jpg

http://classes.hortla.wsu.edu/hort231/List05/Slide14.jpg

http://www2.una.edu/pdavis/images/trees/twigs/ailalt01.jpg

The stems of sumac are not so straight and if they have flowered, the flowers are usually still attached:

o

Ailanthus altissima, Tree of Heaven or more aptly Ghetto Palm. If you think that's oddly shaped you should see the well-known pic of the mature tree that sprouted in the roof gutter, followed down the downspout and rooted into the ground.
The best treatment that I know of is basal herbicide application. Wound the tree at the base, paint with full strength herbicide and allow the whole tree including roots to die. I do this in September, maybe it will work now, not sure.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 13:14

Could also be staghorn sumac, Rhus typhina. Mine looks exactly like your pic right now 'cept the bark is fuzzy. Smooth bark, it's likely Ailanthus. Cut a twig/branch, ailanthus stinks.

The two are commonly mistaken for one another.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ailanthus/Staghorn Sumac

o

Great link, kwoods! These plants can be confused and that article has some great side by side photos. I've bookmarked it for future use.

I think you can see in Anita's first picture that the foliage is emerging above last year's leaf scar, a characteristic mark of Ailanthus rather than Sumac (where the new leaf emerges from within the leaf scar).

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 9:50

"the foliage is emerging above last year's leaf scar"

Good info and good to know. Strange how some things you can tell apart when you see them just becaue you "know" them. Much better to have a definitive characteristic in mind.

o

Like Esh Ga says, try the sniff test. Ailanthus smells horrible.

o

What a lot of useful information I have once again gotten from you guys. Thank you so much. I have passed this all on to my sister in law whose yard this is growing in.

A

o

I've seen young Ailanthus trees look like the picture of your mystery trees. I _think_ that the male trees of this species are the ones that smell strongly of bad peanut butter when bruised or cut.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here