SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Advice on plant choices

prairie_love
17 years ago

Hello, I hope you all can help me figure out what *types* of native plants would be appropriate in a garden I'm planning. Here is a photo of the area in question. I am planning a garden at the far end of the split rail fence, coming up to about the fourth post and out about 10 feet. It will be a horseshoe shaped garden and swoop along the front of the tree line that you can barely see to the left side of the picture.

{{gwi:1053589}}

I want to do this garden mostly if not entirely in native/prairie type plants. I've been thinking of big and little bluestem, indian grass and sweetgrass. For forbs I would like Joe Pye weed, hyssop, black eyed Susan, coreopsis, sunflowers, etc.

Here is my question. This area is mostly sunny and becomes quite dry in summer. However, it is only a couple hundred yards from the river and some springs (4 of the 5 springs that we have lived here) it is flooded. Below is a picture of last year's flood. These spring floods don't concern me too greatly as most plants seem to survive if they have not yet started growing. Would most of you agree with that?

Also however, in one of the five summers we have lived here we had a summer flood (these are rare). In that case the water would cover this region AFTER plants have emerged. In my experience this tends to kill the plants.

Here is a flood picture.

{{gwi:1053590}}

So the question really is - should I be looking at a completely different type of plant for this area? I don't really think wetland plants are appropriate as it si not wet during the summer. Do you think the prairie plants would survive an occasional flooding? Any experience or suggestions?

Thank you so much for you help.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting