Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking Jugs of Native Wildflower Seed

Posted by edlincoln 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 12:06

I sometimes see big containers full of a mixture of wildflower seed and some sort of filler. The idea is you scatter or sprinkle the seeds.

Does anyone know of a fairly inexpensive version that uses only native plants? Ideally cold tolerant New England perennials, but I'd accept any North American plants. Ideally cheap. I want something I can scatter on an embankment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking Jugs of Native Wildflower Seed

Don't know of a source with the seed and filler mix, but two sources I've used for wildflower seeds are American Meadows (americanmeadows.com) and Everwilde Farms (everwilde.com). AM does sell wildflower mixes by region, so should have several tailored for the Northeast. I'm more familiar with EF as their varieties and quantity options are usually a better match for my urban lot projects. You'll have to pick seeds for your own mix if you want only perennials. Both firms should provide coverage estimates on their mixes to get to a cost for the area you're planning to seed.

Edit - Forgot to add that not all AM mixes are 100% native and the EF native mixes probably are, but from an Upper Midwest (USA) perspective. Both do list the varieties used in each mix. Just noticed AM does now have a mix of NE native perennials and have linked it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northeast native perennial mix (AM)

This post was edited by bostedo on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 8:22

o

Please do check the label! The WSU extension here in Washington checked 19 wildflower mixes and found from 3 to 13 (!) invasives mixed in. 8 of them contained seeds for plants considered by at least one US state or Canadian province to be noxious weeds.

Most companies that make the mixes forget that what might be a native plant in one place is totally invasive in another.

Here is a link that might be useful: WSU Wildflower Mix Test

o

Prairie Moon has some good mixes.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.prairiemoon.com/seed-mixes/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here