Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Senna/casia hebecarpa

Posted by blueberrier1 6/KY (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 12:34

Have several bare root senna hebecarpa to plant from Musser Forest. Was attracted to them based on their support for butterflies. Cannot locate info as to invasiveness/best site/companion plants etc. Had wanted to plant them on the north east side of small birch planting area...so the butterflies antics could be viewed from a nearby patio. I would appreciate any details from your observations or experiences. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Senna/casia hebecarpa

Hi, there! I grow S. hebecarpa and have for about 5 years now. It doesn't seem to be invasive for me. The seeds do not reseed for me either. They might if I actually cultivated them, but I don't. I have had both Sleepy Orange and Cloudless Sulphurs lay eggs on it. I do nothing to support it in the way of pruning, fertilizing, etc. It gets kind of rangy looking after it blooms, but I wouldn't be without it.

Mine gets late afternoon shade and does great. Soil doesn't appear to be a factor in growing it. These plants are nitrogen fixing legumes, so not necessary to fertilize them.

Susan

o
RE: Senna/cassia hebecarpa

Thanks, Susan. Am looking forward to enjoying these as much as you.

I had soaked the bare rooted plants in a weak Fertrell 4-8-4 fish-kelp solution for a few hours. I then root pruned them to six inches, as some roots were 24 inches long and there was no other way to accommodate them in the rich clay site. Somewhere, I read to space them 2' apart, but only spaced at 15". They are alongside a mixed island bed that has three sapphireberry seedlings, coneflowers, irises, and reseeding annuals. Am hoping the Senna will bloom this summer. This bed is about 10' west of my largest raised veg bed and gets daily viewing/attention.

Have you ever saved seeds, scarified and planted to check germination? One site mentioned that Cassia/senna hebecarpa is the undiscovered treasure of the summer garden.

o
RE: Senna/casia hebecarpa

No, I haven't. I have a small garden, and this Senna reaches about 6' tall and wide. That's plenty big enuff for me. I also grow Senna bicapsularis, which is not hardy here, but reseeds a lot. It is very attractive, too, and the Sulphurs give it equal opportunity.

They don't really need rich soil, since they are nitrogen-fixing plants and provide their own nutrients and also to plants around them. They should bloom this summer. Mine was a small plant in a 4" pot. It grew to about 3' tall that same year and bloomed a lot. The bumblebees also love it, but they're only interested in getting to the pollen.

I think you'll really like and enjoy them.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here