Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Droopy Dahlias, HELP!

Posted by victory_gardener88 Colorado (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 13:48

I purchased a couple of Dahlia tubers about 2 months ago. I planted them in a large planter indoors, and they've taken off. On warm days I've put them out on my balcony, watered them when the soil looks dry, and I gave them plant food when I planted them.
They are always in the sunniest spot of my apartment when they aren't outside. I just put them out about half an hour ago and they are drooping very quickly... HELP! What does this mean, what can I do to perk them back up?
I have 3 tubers in a 2 gallon pot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Droopy Dahlias, HELP!

This is the native plant forum and dahlias are not native to North America. Perhaps ask on the Dahlia forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia forum

o
RE: Droopy Dahlias, HELP!

a plant used to being indoors struggles when suddenly placed outside in full sun, they are not used to that. its like taking a baby with tender skin to the beach one day : ) move the plant from indoors to a shaded spot that gets bright light. also, dahlias like a good amount of water, provided the pot they're in has good drainage, water often.

dahlias like full sun provided they are grown that way, yours are not getting nearly enough light, this is why they are leggy and stretching toward the sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here