Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Posted by azwildcats70 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 4, 10 at 14:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this and how do I get rid of it?

The plant you have is commonly called Lesser Celandine and the botanical name is Ranunculus ficaria. It has been sold for years as Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris) which it is NOT!! It has been placed on the Invasive Plant List of most states and is a tough plant to get rid of. My recommendation is to spray the plant as soon as it emerges (and usually before anything has, making this job easier) with Roundup at the recommended strength. The roots of this plant are like minature dalhias and each piece you break off makes a new plant so trying to dig it out only makes matters worse. They also spread rapidly via seed. Hope this helps some. Regards, Mark

o

Excellent! Thank you! Our neighbor LOVES it and has so much of it growing in their back yard. Guess we are going to have to find a "border" of some sort to prevent the spread.

o

Mark--what is the source of your information? I thought this was marsh marigold. I would appreciate more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: follow me on twitter

o

My source is years of experience dealing with this plant after it was sold as Marsh Marigold and now trying to remove it from an 11 ac. Botanical Garden. I'll do some research and send you some useful links the first of next week which should clear up the confusion regarding this plant. You are not alone in thinking this plant is something it is not. A lot of very experienced gardeners and experts still have the same misconception but hopefully it will be cleared up soon and folks will stop selling and giving it away(trading)it as such. Till then. Mark

o

That's disturbing that nurseries would sell a non-native plant under the same common name as a U.S. native plant. Yet another good reason to shop at places that list the botanical names of plants on the tags.

Seems like the easiest way to tell them apart is Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris) has five petals in the flowers. The Ranunculus ficaria plant pictured above seems to have eight or maybe even nine petals in the flowers.

See link below for photos of the real Marsh Marigold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caltha palustris/Marsh Marigold

o

I've seen this for sale at local gardening shows, they make it sound really great. There is also a form with burgundy leaves, 'Brazen Hussy' from Plant Delights nursery.

The really bad weed in my yard and neighboring hay fields is perhaps Ranunculus acris, tall buttercup. It has a more incised leaf. It really spreads and is very hard to eradicate.

o

An easy way to spot Ranunculus ficaria in it's beastly way of invasion is along stream banks. Think...if it's ALL OVER THE PLACE, that's it.

. .
. .

It has covered the entire flood plain of our local creek. Even jumping to the other side of the road now. Walking through it, while battling through Rugosa rose as well, is a horrible experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here