Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What wildflowers to plant

Posted by mikyenrut z5 seWI (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 14:02

I'd like to plant wildflowers on a hill, which is the side of our driveway. This faces west, getting great sunshine. I'm thinking of just planting perennial seeds, or annuals that would reseed themselves.
Where is a good place to buy seed, as I'll be needing quite a bit.
Amount of seed needed per sq/ft?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks, Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What wildflowers to plant

If you're in SE Wisconsin, you should definitely stop by prairiebob.com and give him a call. He'll have local genotype.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Seed Source

o

One important thing to know about the site is what is the soil like, and how dry does it get. If the site is a dry one, I'd expect you have trouble growing grass there, or whatever has planted itself there is growing poorly, or with bare ground in between the plants. A moister soil would support fairly dense grass and weeds, if the slope has been there a few years.

There are tons of good choices for either a wet or dry site, but some of the plants would be different.
For your first year, I'd definitely include some annuals (which of course bloom the first year) or perennials that bloom the first year. Clasping coneflower is great for most sites, but doesn't like really dry conditions. Black eyed Susans can also bloom the first year, if planted early. Monarda punctata is a nice first-year bloomer. There are other good choices as well, but don't overlook the first year. Many perennials don't bloom until the second year.

o

It's probably best to have a mix of annuals and perrenials. Advice from a good native seed company, especially one that serves your area, would be useful. The seller and/or the seller's catalog often have good instructions about rate of seeding per species or per standard mixes they sell. There is usually some weeding or other preparation called for before you sow your seed.

o

Check out the folks at Taylor Creek Restoration Nursery in Brodhead. It would efinitely be worth the drive...those folks are fantatstic, and stock a LOT of plants! They will be opening the nursery around May15th, and I can't wait. It's only a little over an hour, for me! Yippee!

Here is a link that might be useful: Aplied Ecological and Taylor Creek Restoration Nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here