Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this native (?)/ is it native???

Posted by connplantman zone 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 14:24

hi i saw this plant today on a nature walk through the woods (happy earth day everyone!!) and i have no clue what it is. this is in simsbury, connecticut. i was thinking it was a magnolia of some kind or a rhodo? It doesn't look like a rhodo up close and it resembles the native cucumber magnolia but the leaves are too glossy and too big. could it be an escaped japanese magnolia? does anyone know what it is? is it native here or is it an INVADER?

pics (cell phone quality sorry lol):
Photobucket
Photobucket

thanks for your help guys

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this native (?)/ is it native???

Looks like a young Magnolia grandiflora, a native plant (although perhaps not native to your area). Unlike it's cousin the cucumber magnolia, this one is evergreen.

o
RE: what is this native (?)/ is it native???

i thought that the southern magnolia only grew in zone 7 and warmer? how in the heck did it end up on the zone 5/6 boundary up north?!?!? looking at some pictures online, i do think that id of this thing being magnolia grandiflora is correct. can we blame canadian geese for "planting" it? im happy to see it's at least native to the eastern US though. my goodness maybe there is something to global warming! i will have to continue to monitor this plant and see if it survives through our harsh winters. i am really shocked but again after looking through photos online i think it has to be southern magnolia. WOW

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here