Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
does anyone know what plant this is?

Posted by dswnky Kentucky (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 15:15

Hey folks thank you for reading. I am trying to get my garden started in western Kentucky this Spring, unfortunately, the plant in this picture has pretty much taken over the yard. We had a very wet winter, don't recall seeing this one, it looks like a ground cover, it is purple. Is this considered an invasive weed, or is it desirable? Any advice or observations would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: does anyone know what plant this is?

Lamium purpureum.

o

It is not a native plant.

o

wow. any advice?

o

I would have thought that someone on this forum would have been more forthcoming in offering help. I am a newbie gardener, so maybe if I offer advice someone will jump in and correct me.

Personally I would never use weed-killer. Weed killer is responsible for the deformities and deaths of many frogs across the country.

So I think getting to it and pulling it (especially before it goes to seed) is your best option. From what I read on other garden forums, they are easy to pull.

o

We been dealing with the related henbit since stopping our preemergent use a few years back. They go away in the heat of summer, but can produce thousands of seeds per plant so will be back unless you break the seed cycle. Keep them cut or pulled before they go to flower. Where they are already in bloom, catch and bag the cuttings if you have a catcher on your mower. I'd do this over resorting to a broadleaf weed killer, especially at this time of year. Improving the overall health of the lawn or ground cover in the infested areas will also help a lot.

Fall is the next opportunity to consider applying a preemergent to get it back where the manual methods (cutting/pulling) can keep it under control.

o

you could try strong vinegar or fire to burn it out (carefully). I've even see boiling water suggested.

o

It's pretty easy to just pull out and good exercise too. ;) Also the most inexpensive option if you're frugal like me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here