SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwichman_gw

New Ceanothus Concha not looking too great

dwichman
13 years ago

Just planted 2 - 5 gallon Ceanothus Concha along the fence in my backyard. Tried to follow advice I read online of not amending the soil or really doing anything special other than digging a hole and plopping them in. I wouldn't say my soil is particularly clay or sandy, seems pretty average to me.

In the first week I gave very little water and didn't deep water them, then they started to yellow a bit so I feared they needed more water. So I deep watered in the evening when it was cool about 1 week after planting. The day or two after I thought they started looking better, but can't be sure, I might have imagined it. At this point they seem to continue to yellow. I've dug up the soil around them a bit and it appears to be somewhat moist/damp right up to the root ball, but certainly not muddy or watery. Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but you can see the soil from about 2" down does have moisture.

So basically the first week they got a couple of light waterings, then a deep watering at the beginning of week 2.

Too much water, not enough? Are they maybe just going dormant since Summer is approaching?

I'm in San Jose, CA and the weather has been about 60's with a couple of very light showers over the past 2 weeks.

{{gwi:1054429}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor