Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Claytonia virginica (Spring Beauty)

Posted by laogooli (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 16:28

I found this in a site that may be developed, so I dug some of it up. I didn't get any soil around the roots (all the soil fell off) and I think I may have injured the tip of the root. Currently, I have it in a cup of water.
I can get more it this if it doesn't make it.
How should I transplant this?

Here is a link that might be useful: My photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Claytonia virginica (Spring Beauty)

Of course plant it. If nothing else, those flowers will probably set seed, and these plants selfsow easily and will really multiply. I find them coming up in places I never planted them, and it is a delight to see them in the springtime. I would also go back and try to get an entire plant IF you have permission. I am not in favor of trespassing even tho' it hurts to see development destroy plants. If you get permission, you will probably find other "goodies" in what is apparently a moist location. Good luck.

o

What you should find at the bottom of the weak spindly stem that may run thisaway and thataway underground is a small bulb. That one bulb may put up flower stems that are 3-6 inches apart when they come through the ground...unlike 2 daffodils that come from one bulb that has split in two. I dug several this spring, and they were all blooming sized. Some of the bulbs were as small as a pea (though they flowered) and ranged in size up to the size of a marble.

Dig lots of soil, and then very carefully look through it, following the stems, to see if indeed you got the bulb itself. It also helps to dig when the soil is good and moist.

Sue

o

Hmm... I think I broke the stem; I don't see any bulbs...
I'll plant it outside and see what happens.

o
Seedling?

Do seedlings of this also form bulbs?
The "root" is a few inches long and tapers down to about half a millimeter. The plant came up without much resistance when I dug around it, so I may have broken the stem...
I'll try to request permission and get some more. There were some other interesting plants, too.

o

The bulblets in my area are six to eight inches below the surface making it somewhat hard to dig.

o

They are like trout lillies...you haved to dig WAY down to get the bulb...WAY down..and as said above these stems are very fragile. I have found they do not like to be moved some take and some do not but certainly go back and get as many as you can if they are going to be destroyed. Take a long headed spade. You will probably find more things like spring cress and other nice little widlflowers...take them all!

o

I have a a patch that is at least a square yard with some growing in my path. I dug these strays and replanted them in my lawn. It will be interesting to see next year how they have spread. I will probably add to them next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here