Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prickly pear

Posted by dapjwy Mid-Atlantic (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 17:07

I inherited some prickly pear cactus that the former owner of my house has in a flowerbed. I've never seen it grow in the wild and would love to replicate the natural conditions in which it would be found. I understand it is found in the Delaware Gap area (which I have yet to visit).

Can anyone describe companion plants found growing with Prickly Pear? In what conditions does it normally grow? Any pictures of it in a wild area?

Thank you.

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prickly pear

Your eastern species needs full sun all day and a well draining soil. One that is probably sandy and rocky or gravelly. Check the link below to see images of plants in situ.

Here is a link that might be useful: Opuntia humifusa

o

One sight that I will never forget is a sheer wall of Opuntia near Petersburg WV. We were coming down the mountain from the wilderness area known as Dolly Sods. The cacti was all yellow with bloom. It was growing in shale gravel, no other plants.
I have also seen it in the sandy dunes of the Coastal Plain. In these xeric areas few other plants are growing, perhaps bayberry.
You can grow it in heavier soil but it is a constant weeding project. I guess you know that the little spines are like harpoons.

o

I have seen prickly pear mostly near the coast in dunes that are growing in with plants like Little bluestem, bayberry, blueberries, huckleberries, and oaks. It grows in full sun, and very well drained, sandy soils, at least in the places I have seen it.

o

We have some growing in the crevices of some glacial rock (or maybe on top of the rock?). I can't say if the ones we have are native or not but they survive the winters just fine. There are some acid loving shrubs close by. All of this was intentionally planted in prior generations. The location is a couple of miles inland from the east coast. I don't know whether any of this mimics natural conditions or not.

o

Thanks to all who responded. I can't believe it took me this long to check back--actually I was looking for something else I'd posted.

I appreciate all the feedback. You've given me a few ideas.

I did move some of it to a rock outcropping near where I'm also trying to establish lowbush blueberry and little bluestem.

I am still wondering if it is native to my area this far from the coast.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Native Backyard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here