Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pipsissewa

Posted by mocon none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 17:55

I'm just wondering, does anyone else on this forum have any information on growing Srriped Pipsissewa (Chimaphila maculata) from seed ? Several times, in the spring, I've gathered the little seed-pods and sowed the very tiny, dust-like seed (at least, I think it's the seed) but I've never had any germination, even though I've kept the container outside for a year, and it's been through several seasons of freezing and thawing. Any help or information would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pipsissewa

Cullina writes that he has never been successful with these seeds, but he has been successful with cuttings. I have not tried this as they are plentiful around here. Can you get some to try? Check Cullina for more details.

o
RE: Pipsissewa

There is a chapter on pipsissewa in Planting the Future: Saving Our Medicinal Herbs ed. by Rosemary Gladstar & Pamela Hirsch. The chapter on pipsissewa is written by Stephen Harrod Buhner. The first sentence in the Propagation and Cultivation section for pipsissewa is: "Though the plants produce seeds it is nearly impossible to propagate from them." If a local library has a copy of the book, you may wish to read the rest of the chapter on this plant.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here