SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Virginia Bluebells, transplanting

Last spring while they were flowering I dug up some Virginia Bluebells from my parent's Wisconsin woods and transplanted them into a shady area of my suburban Chicago back yard. They were very difficult to transplant as it was hard to get the root out without it breaking. They wilted instantly (which is what they do if you try to cut any and put them in a vase anyway) but I planted them. Since they are ephemerals and die back to nothing after flowering I could not tell if they had survived.

Today I found 4 out of the dozen or so I planted had appeared! Each cluster of leaves is about the size of a fist, and 2 already have buds. Is there anything I can do to encourage them to spread?

I may go dig some more if I get the chance: the old place is up for sale. Is there any trick to digging and transplanting these, so I can improve my success?

I'm hoping to also get some of my Mom's purple or yellow trilliums and her Bleeding heart. If there is any trick to transplanting these, too, I'd appreciate the advice.

Comments (23)

Sponsored