Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Age old Columbine seed

Posted by sapphireiris Z4b-5a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 18:33

I am posting to see if anyone is familiar with Columbine seed viability past one year- 2 years since collection. I collected Columbine seeds and saved them in an envelope, they were forgotten along with moving from apartment living to our permanent home. My husband and I found them in a special keepsake box from a few years ago. I am pretty sure they are over 2 years old.

My thought was giving them a chance and broadcasting them onto bare sandy soil in early May and seeing what happens. I believe it's still better to give them a chance now than never.

Also if this fails, would a fall sowing of fresh seed directly into the sandy soil bed, or pampering them inside over winter work better for a winter that is known to hit -15?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Age old Columbine seed

According to this website, columbine (aquilegia)seeds are viable for about 2 years. I actually think I have planted some that were older than that and had minimal germination. I usually wintersow mine (in containers rather than direct sowing) and have excellent results.

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: Longevity of seeds in ideal storage

o

I've wintersown Aquilegia canadensis, A. chrysantha, and A. caerulea, all native Columbines, using fresh seed and get lots of seedlings. I've got lots of little A. caerulea sprouts this Spring. Columbine can be sporadic to germinate sometimes. It reseeds a bit in the garden and I discover little seedlings here and there.

Longevity of the seed depends partly on how the they are stored. I store mine in a drawer in the fridge and throw dessicants in the seed bags and the drawer. I've had excellent germination on some old seeds, much older than listed on the website above. I've germinated tomatoes, basil, parsley, savory, zinnias, sunflowers, and other seeds that were more than 10 years old.

Not sure how yours will germinate, but it's worth a try if you're curious.

o

"According to this website, columbine (aquilegia)seeds are viable for about 2 years. I actually think I have planted some that were older than that and had minimal germination. I usually wintersow mine (in containers rather than direct sowing) and have excellent results. "

Very intresting information! I didnt know that! Thanks:)

Here is a link that might be useful: pranie dywanów wrocław

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here