SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

Seeking suggestion(s)

dbarron
9 years ago

I went looking through the beds this morning assessing what I lost over this severe weather, and where holes were likely to be (season and space wise).
I have one bed that faces south, but shaded by buildings on the north and west side, and shaded by a large chinese dogwood overhead now. Early in spring, before the dogwood leaves out, it's nearly full sun, but it only gets 2-3 hours of morning sun in summer. I've found that rudbeckias and liatris don't thrive in the bed (in fact they struggle somewhat). I didn't realize the dogwood provided so much shade last spring when I planted.
Due to other plantings, the bed tends towards toward avg to slightly above average moisture. I plan on putting a mimulus ringens and a lobelia sylphitica in this year.
I need something to provide color and/or carry the bed along the center. I have no qualms about color, height if more than 5 inches and not more than 4 feet, but need presence for shade in both early summer and midsummer, fall is a bonus, but not required. Lots of bulbs, so the spring season is covered, also a clematis trying to engulf the bed somewhat.
Soil is a clay loam with a top dressing of decaying leaves, which probably means slightly acid ph.
Ideas? I'd sure appreciate it...I've browsed a few native catalogues and drawn a blank.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks