Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
companions for Spigelia marilandica

Posted by kcbarbara z5KS (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 08 at 19:28

I'm planning to start a new shady bed up close to my house and am very keen to use Spigelia marilandica. I planned to make it the back of the bed but after realizing that it's more bushy than it is tall, I'm thinking it would work better as the middle. So, what to put behind it? The bed faces NW and isn't deep shade - it gets a couple hours of late afternoon / early evening sun, depending on the season.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: companions for Spigelia marilandica

How about American beauty berry/callicarpa americana, sweet shrub/calycanthus floridus, or star bush/illicium floridanum? These are all woodland shrubs that naturally grow in the same places as spigelia marilandica.
Sherry

o

Thank you, missherry. I checked out your suggestions and at least two of them are not hearty in my zone. The other consideration (which I should have mentioned) is that there is a redbud tree in the vicinity of the bed and I need a backdrop shrub that doesn't get too tall. I checked out the listings on www.grownative.org, which is such a nice resource for my zone, but haven't found that perfect fit. Guess I'll keep looking.

o

Well, I'm vacillating now between physocarpus opulifolius/common ninebark and clethra alnifolia. The ninebark is native, the clethra is not but judging by a few pics of full gown specimens, the ninebark might be too big. Hmmmmm....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here