Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apios Americana Groundnut ??

Posted by Gessepi29 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 21:36

I have recently bought tubers of this magnificent native plant. Anyone familiar with this plant please give me some feedback. I planted the tubers recently that had already begun to sprout shoots. I live in the foothills of nc zone 7b. As I was planting them I accidentally broke some of the shoots as they were really tender or brittle. Will these tubers grow new shoots? I would hate to have stunted their growth for the season. Any information would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apios Americana Groundnut ??

I have this plant naturally down near a lake. Cannot help on growing it; I just want to keep it under control. The blooms are lovely, and they say it fixes nitrogen.

Hope you have great results with yours.

o

i planted some ground nut last fall... a couple of my tubers broke as well.... they were pretty small and i have yet to see any growth this year (the soil may be too dense, though). hopefully they will grow and when the time is right, send up some shoots.
hey ncrescue, would you care to share the seeds from your plants?

o

Most years I have tons of seeds, but last year, for some reason, I did not see many. Maybe the deer ate them? Will share if I see them this year.

o

my groundnut has returned! here's hoping it thrives!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here