Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wildflower Identification

Posted by btgirl 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 08 at 21:44

I found several of these growing in my shade garden this spring. I don't know whether to leave them as wildflowers or pull them up because they are weeds. Can anyone tell me what they are? Thanks.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wildflower Identification

I am definitely not a plant expert, I am barely a novice, so this is just a guess. It looks kind of like poison hemlock Conium maculatum to me. The photos of on the USDA plant database have darker foliage though. I am pretty sure that it is in the Apiaceae family but I am not familiar enough with the family to figure it out even to genus. Perhaps if you could get some closeup pictures of some of the parts I could find out more. I would get a closer shot of the stem, the flowers and the foliage. I am not certain what characteristics are diagnostic, but I think that I could at least get it to genus with that information. I'll bet somebody else on this site will be able to tell you just from seeing this photo though.

Brian

o

I have had an increasing amount of the plant. However most of the information of poison hemlock is that it has a parsnip scent(mild carrot) but mine only have a very slight green smell.

o

If the stems are purple is poison hemlock. If not, it would very well be wild parsnip.

Susan

o

While the carrot family is a large one, I would guess this might be wild chervil. Stems on hemlock are purple blotched and also hairless and smooth. These look ridged and might even be slightly hairy/fuzzy? Check out the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: wild chervil

o

Since mine get three to four feet tall that leaves out the chervil and the hemlock since they have prickly stems.

o

This is my first time posting on this forum, hope you don't mind but I couldn't resist when I saw the photo.

It looks like what we in Central Texas call "beggar lice," don't know the scientific name. You could call it a wildflower because of its lacy foliage and little white flowers, but it's also an annoying weed that produces copious amounts of slightly barbed seeds, which hitch a ride by clinging to your clothing, to your dog's fur, or anything else it can stick to, thereby broadcasting and reproducing itself to the point that it's almost impossible to control.

Every day I hand-pull as many of these as I can and barely make a dent. We spend the summer picking the seeds out of the dogs' ears and off the rugs. They even get in the laundry and stick to the towels. Can you tell I hate these things? But some people like them because they are pretty.

o

Does it grow in a moist area and multiply rapidly? It looks exactly like my pond and bog plant called "water celery". It reproduces like mad. It may not help but I just had to share. Sonja

o

try Torilis arvensis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here