Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Touch Me Nots

Posted by forpityssake 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 22:54

For those of you that are looking for wild flowers that love shade to partial shade & also attract Hummingbirds...the Touch Me Nots are just the ticket, IMO. The flowers are beautiful orange, shaped like a horn of plenty & they must be full of nectar because the Hummingbirds spend a lot of time in them, flitting from one to the other.

They also have medicinal characteristics. The leaves contain a substance that stops the itch of poison ivy, mosquito bites, etc., almost immediately.

Most often you'll find Touch Me Nots & poison ivy growing in the same area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Touch Me Nots

Touch me not is botanically known as Impatiens capensis (the orange one, that is). Another common name is Jewel weed.

Known as "touch me not" simply because the seed capsule explodes when you touch it. Often found growing in moist areas near streams or boggy spots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens capensis

o
RE: Touch Me Nots, quite aggressive given proper conditions.

I have these growing like crazy in moist shade to almost full sun. Since they are native (assuming USA), they can't be "invasive" but they are truly aggressive. If you have the right conditions, they will spread like crazy.

I decided this year to pull the seedlings out of a huge area to make way for other plants. I probably pulled out 1000 of these things. I'll leave them in the woods by probably have to pull out a few hundred a year to keep my garden clear. Not to worry, I don't plan to erradicate them and they are so prolific, if I ever want them back, I'll just stop pulling and with in a few years, the migrate back.

The orange flowers are cute but small but they are tall and the vegetation is not all that attractive. I wouldn't grow these anywhere are purpose unless I had acres of land and didn't my huge areas of part-shade taken over by these.

-l2t

o
RE: Touch Me Nots

It is an annual with shallow roots so it is fairly easy to control. If you pull them in the spring that will be it for the year.

Another nice member of the genus is pale touch me not, Impatiens pallida. It has larger, yellow flowers and grows in moist woodlands.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens pallida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here