Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun or Shade for spiderwort

Posted by fleurdelis z7 Oregon (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 1:02

I was given a deep purple spiderwort as a gift. I went online to find out what conditions would be best for it and found totally conflicting advice. Some say shade and others say full sun. Any advice as to what it might prefer in the PNW would be appreciated! Thanks, Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun or Shade for spiderwort

I have them in both sun and shade, and they do well in both. I'd say that the ones in sun grow more compactly and densely, and seem to have more flowers.
I don't think that it's a "must grow in full shade" type of plant, and if it can take New Jersey summer sun, it can certainly take Oregon sun; I'd say plant it wherever you want it.
To give you an idea of how tough these things are: I dug up several, as they were getting out of control. Some ended up under a pile of weeds. Two weeks later, I finally picked up the weeds, and the buried spiderworts had rooted and started all sorts of new growth. As I said, tough.

o

Deer like mine, so I planted a new bunch in the full sun where they avoid browsing. We have had rain, so plants are fine. I am not sure about our hot summers. In the mountains, they grow in the woods and along the road, and the ones in the full sun bloom more. The mountain area has lots of rain, so if you water, I think they will do fine any place, as Lisanti stated.

o

Thank you for the responses, sun it is! Janet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here