Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help in selecting some plants for a wildflower walk

Posted by paulsiu IL (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 11 at 1:24

yard picture

I need some ideas. I have a path sandwich between a retaining wall and some trees. Note that on the otherside of the trees is a retention pond. It would be nice to grow something next to the retaining wall and the tree border, leaving a path in the middle to walk through. I should alo be able to see some of the flowers from the patio.

Earlier in the month, I tried planting the following plants:

Great Merry Bell
Celadine Poppies
Cardinal Flowers
great blue lobelia
queen of the prairie
Dogtooth Daisy

Frankly, the experiment hasn't been all that successful. The celadeine poppies are still there, but got damaged by the wind. One of the merrybell got pulled out and the other is dead. It's been raining more than usual, so the area got flooded and killed off my queen of the prairie and Dogtooth Daisy. However, the cardinal flower and lobelia are still around, but they are now surrounded by tall grass.

I am wondering if I just pick the wrong plants? The area faces the north and get a lot of sun when the trees weren't so green. Now that they are, a lot of areas are drapped.

The soil there is also a bit weird. The top layer consists of decaying dead leaves. Once you start digging through that you hit a black sludgy mess with a lot of roots. There is a lot of earthworms though, way more than in my yard. I was thinking of buying some wild flowers plugs and is not sure what to buy.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help in selecting some plants for a wildflower walk

Black sludgey mess? Is it very wet there, outside the recent rain that is? Woodland soil is usually moist and rich with organic material but not "sludgey." It is more like compost than sludge.

Soil that is wet all the time could be described as being rather "gooey" or sludgey. You may wish to wait on your plantings right now. See what plants grow there naturally throughout this season. What plants grow there, may give an indication of what types of plants you could plant there next season. Might be less frustrating and more fruitful for you in the long run.

FataMorgana

o
RE: Need help in selecting some plants for a wildflower walk

Check the link below and search out wetland plants.
If the ground becomes saturated for prolonged periods
you may want to try some of the wetlands types.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native plants Illinois

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here