Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jack in the pulpit, possible trilliums?

Posted by dekeoboe 7b, NC (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 6:51

cross-posted to Woodlands forum

We came across a number of Jack in the pulpits, but not all of them have solid leaves. Is it possible some are trilliums?

photo photo.jpg

photo photo-1.jpg

photo photo-3.jpg

photo photo-2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jack in the pulpit, possible trilliums?

I am not sure about the others but the third picture from the top, the one with the rocks, is a picture of Virginia Creeper. I have encouraged it on my lot, It is a nice non invasive plant. This is a native plant to the eastern part of the US.

Caution: Virginia Creeper is frequently confused with (Poison Ivy. Which I believe is the three leaf plants in the same picture and in the fourth picture. You want to avoid Poison Ivy. The good thing while you can get it on ALL parts of your body you can't get it on your eyeballs.

o

Correcto on the Virginia creeper. It is vigorous, but that never bothered me. It is, of course, native to a wide area of the US.

The other one is not poison ivy, so far as I can tell. In that plant, short petioles should be visible. These leaves erupt directly from the main stem, and do look to be that of trilliums, which exact species I don't know.

+oM

o

Yes, I should have mentioned that I knew the Virginia Creeper is in that photo. I was too lazy to pull it out so it wouldn't be in the photo. Unfortunately, if any of them are trilliums they have already bloomed, so I will have to wait a year to see any flower. Plus, these are not on my property.

o

I'm not sure I was correct about the 3-leaved guy there. Not the bit about it not being poison ivy. I'm sure of that. Mental block...I frequently confuse Trillium foliage with that of J in the P. Later if I have time, I'll have to research.

+oM

o

Thanks. I know most are Jack in the pulpit, but what is throwing me off are the ones with multi-color leaves. I can't find anything that shows them that way, so I was hoping some might be trilliums.

o

I'm not an expert, but I've never seen multi-colored Jacks, and I've often seen them on Trillium. The first one, especially, looks like a trillium to me.

o

I always look at the edge of the leaf....jips have a "vein" that runs around the periphery....sorry my use of botanical terminology has a lot to be desired :( !

Here's a link that might help!

Here is a link that might be useful: trills and jips

o

Very good...thanks much! And based on that, it looks like you've got J in the Ps there, which is, of course, what you said initially, lol!

Was just out doing a wetland delineation. Real "waste place" kind of site, one which non-botanists wouldn't give a second thought to bulldozing. Thousands upon thousands of spring ephemerals-trout lily, wood violet, Jacob's ladder, oh gosh, way more than I can remember now. So amazing what these abused little remnant areas still hold. Of course, the fact we were there doing the delineation means a project is on the way. Hopefully, we can manage to not destroy everything that's there.

+oM

o

That is what I thought, I was just hoping for some trilliums. These are on the property of a guy we know that lives down the road a bit. He told us we can take anything we want from his property. We already took some Mayapples before he mowed over them. If I was better at knowing what the small vegetation is, I would be able to figure out what I want to take from there. We took a couple of Buckeye as well as a lot of buckeye seeds. And some carex grayii, oxalis, partridgeberry (I think) and a few things I don't know the names of. We hope to find a couple of small mountain laurel since there are a number of larger ones. His woods are more diverse than mine, so I am trying to get some more variety.

o

Jacks can get a rust type of disease, so maybe that is the problems with the leaf color of yours. A few of mine have had it, and I just cut off the diseased parts and dispose of that in the trash. The next year the plants have been fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here