Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replanting after removal of burning bush--suggestions?

Posted by beckyed z6MA (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 08 at 7:48

I have removed a ton of burning bush from a lightly shaded east-southeast low slope near to a seasonal stream that runs until about june. Can people suggest suckering shrubs to plant there, to keep it out in future? Would suckering dogwoods do OK? Would be nice to have berries.

The slope is moist, but I don't think it's wet enough to put clethra there. The tree cover is mostly red elm and some sorta birch. It's got very light, high shade.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replanting after removal of burning bush--suggestions?

I think a suckering dogwood would do very well there. Other suggestions: elderberry, a shrub form of serviceberry (Amelanchier), or ninebark (Physocarpus opulifolius).

Congratulations on getting that out!

o

That's great you removed the Burning bush. I've dug out 3 or 4 large ones from the yard, and lots of smaller ones and seedlings. Last Spring, I dug a big one out and planted a 6 foot Amelanchier in it's place, such an improvement! It's blooming right now and looks beautiful.

One thing I've noticed though, the Burning Bush seeds that were left in the soil where the big shrubs used to be are sprouting like crazy this Spring, even where one was dug out 2 years ago!

Sounds like Cornus sericea or amomum (Red twig and Silky Dogwood) would work great in your location - other shrubs that might work well and make berries for the birds are Aronia, Lindera benzoin, or Bayberry (Myrica pennsylvanica).

o

I would be on the lookout for lots of new Burning Bush to sprout in the area. Also, I think Clethra alnifolia would do fine in moist soil - I've seem it growing mostly in moist, but not necessarily wet, woods.

With light shade, don't overlook the many wildflowers that would do great in the area.

o

You are likely to get some new burning bush sprouting from seeds left over from the ones you removed now that they have some light. Red osier dogwood, pussy willow, and elderberry come to mind. Some people suggest buttonbush for streamsides but I haven't tried it yet. River Birch should work in those conditions but it's really more of a tree than a shrub. I also have an arrowood viburnum growing in an intermittent stream and it is doing nicely. Something low growing and at the ground level might also help to compete with the burning bush. Tulip trees also don't seem to mind it a bit wet (at least by me) but that gets to be a very big tree. I have clethra in relatively dry but somewhat shaded areas and they are doing well. I haven't tried them out with wet feet yet.

o

I've got an area with some soon-to-be-removed burning bush, and it is also near what I think is a seasonal stream [thank you for that term: I didn't know _what_ to call the strange soggy area that runs north-south across one section of my property. It was dry during last summer's drought, but wet last spring, and this spring you can actually hear the water trickling through the grass.]

Coincidentally, I had just amended some of the clay soil and installed an elderberry and a shrub variety of willow two weeks ago, and discovered after recent rains that they were swimming in water. Digging a trench to drain away that water resulted in a series of equally full trenches. I now want to find natives that would be happy in this area [I don't mind adding peat and compost]. Hearing that viburnum, clethra and amelanchier would be happy there is wonderful news. Now I just have to find nurseries near Baltimore that stock the genuine articles....

[If you haven't guessed, this is only my first full year in this garden; lots of work to do, and lots of lawn to turn into something more useful!]

o

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I came up with an additional one: gray dogwood. I understand that it will not only sucker around but also provides excellent berries for birds. I really think the key to suppressing the burning bush invasion is to replant with natives that the birds will spread as easily as they spread the burning bush. So for that reason I think I'll go with a combo of gray dogwood, silky dogwood, and elderberry, all three of which will sucker around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here