Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Groundnut / Hopniss

Posted by wild_forager 6b (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 8:04

I just recieved a cultivated strain of Groundnut from an LSU breeding program, and I was wondering how deep I should plant it. I actually want to grow it in a container if possible, but I'm worried it won't be deep enough. There weren't any instructions with it. They say the strain can get very large.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Groundnut / Hopniss

I wouldn't worry about the seed not being deep enough, I'd worry about the container not containing enough soil to support a large plant, or the plant not adapting well to container conditions. I am not familiar with growing Groundnut, although I'd love to try, but few if any seeds need to be planted more than a couple of inches deep. With most seeds, or if I have a seed I haven't grown before, I plant it about as deep as it is thick. This means small seeds are scattered on the surface or lightly raked in, while larger seeds like nuts, peas, etc., I'd cover with a quarter inch of soil, up to maybe an inch. I can't think of any plant that should be planted deeper than an inch, unless drying out of the surface is a problem, such as if you were planting a large seed in sandy soil and wouldn't be back to check on it during germination. So, growing Groundnut at home I'd plant it half an inch deep in normal soil and keep it moist until it grows. I think Groundnut is a riparian/streamside sort of plant, so rich soil and plenty of moisture should be ideal. Don't overwater - a pot with seeds only (no plants) kept in the shade shouldn't dry out very fast and should need watering only weekly or so.

I understand that Groundnut grows into a large vine, and so it doesn't seem well suited to a pot if you want it to reach full size. Once the vine gets large, you may find that it needs almost daily water. Plants found in moist soils tend to use a lot of water. Also, the soil in a pot dries out quickly, and some plants don't tolerate rapidly chaning soil moisture and temperature as well as others. i don't know how well Groudnut will tolerate pot conditions, having never grown it myself in a pot.

o

I guess I will find out! I too am worried about the size of the container. For now it's temporarily in a 5 gallon container, which isn't alot considering the roots extend outward from the plant. I am not quite sure how I'm going to do this, but I can always dig up whatever tubers it makes at the end of the year and do somethign different with them. I highyl doubt that it will 'die'. The worst I can forsee is that it becomes rootbound and clogged with tubers vying for space.

o

wild forager - I'm interested in getting some ground nut as well. Does the LSU breeding program sell them? Thanks. . .

o

I am not sure how to contact LSU or USL or whoever is in charge of the program now. But I got mine from Edible Landscaping. It's apparently new to their list. I had tried other vendors but they were sold out so I was thrilled to see them offering it. Just google edible landscaping and you should see their site. It's kind of stange, because they have two sites. I think one is under construction, but the second one doesn't list the groundnut. But if you call them you can get it figuired out.

o

Thank you!

o

I placed an order for Apios americana at Tripple Brook Farm, but it hasn't been shipped yet as they wait for things to warm up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tripple Brook Farm

o

Tripple Brook is where I ordered from and when it never came I called and they said they were out. It's unfortunate that they dind't tell me that before I called. But basically they said they were out of USL. They probably do have LSU and an uncultivated variety.

o

I asked for their local variety because I figured it would grow better in Buffalo, NY than something cultivated in Louisiana. Plus, I don't plan to eat it. :)

o

Ah! If it's not for food then it won't amtter which one you pick I assume. I'm looking for basketball sized tubers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here