Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
silly garden club

Posted by stoloniferous 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 08 at 8:24

*laugh*. . . *sigh*

I went to a plant sale being held by a local garden club yesterday. The members were such nice people! But not nearly as knowledgeable about plants as I hoped. They were so sure that the daylilies, lilacs, and Siberian irises they were selling me were native, because they had "just grown there" as volunteer plants. (I wasnt certain if the first two were native or not until I got home and did some research, myself. Well, foo at least they were inexpensive.)

They also told me that they werent selling anything invasive, at which I pointed out that they were selling barberry.

Is it illegal yet to sell barberry in Massachusetts?

Ah. . . anyway, I couldnt have met a more well-meaning bunch. I may drop by one of their meetings and see about joining up one of these days. Seems like they could use someone who has an interest in native plants.

Is anyone here a member of a garden club?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: silly garden club

Seems like they could use someone who has an interest in native plants.

Absolutely, a good reason to join. I have introduced many a gardener to native plants and enjoyed watching their interest in natives grow. By the way, we do have native Irises (as you probably know) and next time you could always point that out next time ("you really should see some of the native iris"). I have Iris cristata and Iris verna (such petite blooms!) and Iris fulva (Copper iris).

Here is a picture of my copper iris blooming for the first time this year:

Photobucket

o

Nice picture and plant!

Many garden clubs look to have a speaker now and again for a meeting. stoloniferous, you could offer to speak about native plants to the club. I'm sure if you gave some information on hated and terrible invasives as well as natives that are very nice as garden and landscaping plants it would go over well. If you do a talk, make sure to have at the very least a handout with the common names and botanical names for people to take with them and that they could make notes on during your talk.

FataMorgana

o

Thanks Esh and Fata. :) I think Im a long ways from being knowledgeable enough to give a presentation on native plants, but I am flattered that you suggest it! Perhaps thats something I could aim for eventually. . .

Esh, what a beautiful iris! Nicely photographed, too! I need to research native irises. . . I dont know anything about them yet. :)

Cheers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here