Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serviceberry Trees and Japanese Beetles

Posted by grapefam 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 20, 09 at 8:35

I am considering planting a serviceberry tree in our yard but am concerned about controlling Japanese Beetles. These beetles have spread to eastern Iowa in mass in recent years, and last summer they devastated many plants/trees, even killing many. I've heard there is a chemical used when watering the plants which will kill pests who later eat the leaves. Does anyone know if this would also kill birds or other mammals that eat the serviceberry fruit? I want to attract birds to our yard, not kill them. Also is there any other good way to control the Japanese Beetles?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serviceberry Trees and Japanese Beetles

It will kill the pollinators such as bees, butterflies etc that sip the nectar.

o

Japanese beetles overwinter in grass roots. Milky spore is a lawn treatment that kills those grubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some info

o

For years, I've heard some people on GW complaining about JP beetles. And had no clue what they were talking about until last year. I do what they do: knock the beetles into a bowl of soapy water.

I also treat my lawn with nematodes...

o

Beneficial nematodes. Try that. They kill the Japanese beetles in their larval stage and another benefit is that they will kill fleas in their larval stage too. You can mailorder them if you can't find them locally.

o

Thanks so much for your responses to my posting about JP Beetles. Now I have some direction for this problem. Odd thing is, this year so far I haven't seen a beetle yet. Maybe they present themselves a bit later in the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here