Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Now I have the bug......................

Posted by atokadawn 7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 08 at 8:54

I was just surfing the forums and came cross this one. Now hubby teases me about spending more time in the "woods" than in the yard. I am hooked! I have had a ball going shopping in the woods and road sides( with permission). My yard is doing great this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Now I have the bug......................

Welcome! Woods are far more interesting than yards anyday! There are lots of good websites and books to inform you and help you off to a good start in gardening with natives. Just remember to never dig endangered natives, even with permission unless they are threatened to be destroyed by immenent development. Buying from a reputable native plant nursery that doesn't cull from the wild is a good place to start. And there are plenty of natives that are plentiful and not in danger, why not try collecting seed locally and starting your own? It's fun and the mother plants get to stay in place.

I think you found a good home here, good luck!

o

I even have started growing many natives from seed although my favorites are usually very slow. It is rewarding and fun to share with friends. Of course, we rescue from development sites, and it is always interesting to see what still grows close to existing towns. You don't have to hike far afield to find really great plants if the land has not been disturbed. Several weeks ago at a bridge replacement site (very small area) we found Trillium cuneatum, Sol. seal, VA blue bells, bellworts, and phlox divericata. AND, we even have found some interesting rocks which we have dragged to the car. We always have permission, even if the land is slated for destruction.

o

Might suggest investigating your state's Native Plant Society. They meet for field trips at various locations throughout the state and there is always a vast interchange of information among members.
I have been a member of my local NPS for more than 10 years and have met many interesting people that share the same love of nature as I do. It's an opportunity to learn about the natives and share your knowledge with others.
We have had a very active rescue schedule at construction sites in my area for about 15 years.
Some rescued plants are donated to various preservation organizations or relocated on site, but the majority are planted in member's gardens. I have hundreds overflowing my small woodland garden.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: TNPS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here