Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which critter?!....

Posted by adidas 6/7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 9:30

would have bitten the leaves off ginseng and bloodroot?

There are millions of bloodroots in this forest but I bought some ginseng rootstock and planted it last spring. I have deer, prob rabbits, though I don't ever see them, and def. squirrels. I have never seen a bloodroot w/its leaves nipped off (and eaten) but the bloodroot and ginseng adjacent to it both had their leaves removed and eaten. I can't believe deer would do this? They never (usually) touch bloodroot! Would this kill the ginseng? Or are the roots ok and it will come up next spring? One stalk was left uneaten...I am putting a cage over it!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which critter?!....

should not kill it, occasionally it happens in nature that a plant gets stomped on or broken off, it comes back the next year.

o

Do you have groundhogs around? The ones in my yard (which we are trying valiantly to get rid of) ate my native columbines down to little green sticks. Bummer.

o

Thank-you both for your input! I kind of figured the roots were still intact but I was hoping it might multiply this year...no hope of that! No groundhogs that I have seen....but someone bit the head and flower bud off my trillium too :( AND I just put out 4 clumps of wintersown columbine so it better not touch them or else!!! I'm very sorry to hear about your columbines!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here