Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID please?

Posted by lindacatherine New England (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 9:34

I recently bought a house and the previous owner was a landscaper. These are growing at the corner of my driveway. They are no where else in the yard, and are getting quite tall...almost 3 feet now. Anyone know what they are?

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant ID

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID please?

That might be Artemisia. Rub the plant with your fingers and then smell them - Artemisia smells rather strongly. Two of the common names are wormwood and mugwort.

o

Hmm, I have a feeling it's probably ragweed. Good thing I'm not allergic :)

o

Nope, I know ragweed, I don't think that is it.

o

I agree with Artmesia as a likely candidate. They are common weeds of disturbed habitats. The flowers are small and greenish, but if you eventually get something more interested post another picture.

o

Your plants strike me as an artemisia as well.

Some pictures of yomogi (Artemisia princeps) seem a pretty close match and others don't. Seems to be quite a bit a variety in the yomogi leaf shape but that may be because there are different varieties grown (perhaps?) since this is an herb/food plant in Japan. The plant would be hardy in most of new england since its hardy through zone 4. Not sure....but it may be one to check out and compare to.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: google images

o

If that were growing here, I'd say it was Artemisa vulgaris.

Here is a link that might be useful: A. vulgaris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here