Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sskunk Cabbage oddity

Posted by Dzitmoidonc 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 9:59

I have one Skunk Cabbage (out of 1000s) that is variegated. It has had the same pattern of variegation since I discovered the plant sometime before 1998. I would like to transplant it closer to the house, but at the risk of killing it, it stays where it is. It is a wild plant growing in a wetland.

photo DSCF4957.jpg

photo DSCF4959.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skunk Cabbage oddity

Drop. This was a practice to post pics and one friend wants to see the plant.

o
RE: Sskunk Cabbage oddity

Cool plant, Dz. And if able to be propagated, one which might raise considerable curiosity in the gardening world, I'd think.

+oM

o

Tom, I sent a pic about 5 years ago to Terra Nova Nursery in OR. I was told they specialize in variegated plants, but I never received a response. Probably just as well. I read about a lady in NE PA who has one in a pot. She sent it away to Plants Delight in NC and they were not successful in multiplying it so they sent it back to her. I have been waiting for bloom from this one, but so far, nada. I mow a path to it so wife and I can ogle it when we walk down to the bottom field in the evening.

Another naturally growing plant variant here, is a completely spineless Multiflora rose. This one makes seeds and judging from the number of spineless Multiflora seedlings I pull, it comes true from seed.

o

What a beautiful plant.

o

Terra Nova was a good idea, even though nothing has transpired thusfar. They definitely are a company that brings "new" genetics out into the gardening world with regularity.

I guess the whole thing would be if this trait is heritable, or if strictly vegetative and/or tissue culture would have to be employed.

+oM

o

Stunning plant. Have you contacted Cady's Falls Nursery? Those guys are serious plant propagators/collectors with decades of experience. They might be helpful in advising you on how to best propagate the plant. Good luck. I certainly hope you're successful!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here